HOME > Recipes
originally from foodnetwork.com
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese or Parmesan cheese
1. Combine basil, garlic, and pine nuts in food processor and pulse
until coarsely chopped.
2. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until smooth.
3. Season with S&P.
4. If freezing, transfer to airtight container and drizzle remaining oil
on top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.
5. If using immediately, add all the oil and pulse until smooth.
Transfer to serving bowl and mix in cheese.
Low Fat Purple Basil Pesto
recipe from Deb L., on favor tag at Shannon and Seth's wedding
- 1/4 c. roasted & salted whole almonds
- 2 oz. fresh purple basil leaves (about 2 c. packed)
- 3 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 c. finely grated pecorino romano cheese
- 5 oz. fresh tomatoes (about 1 large) any kind, quartered
- 1/4 ts. salt
Mix all ingredients including almonds in a food processor until
thoroughly combined and the consistency you like. Add more salt to taste
if necessary. Store in refrigerator for several days or freeze.