Bayer's recipe, originally from the Colorado Cache Cookbook
- 2 pheasants
- seasoned flour
- 3 Tbs butter
- pound fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- small onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 pint cream
- 1 Tb. salt
- 1 ts. pepper
- 1 cup dry sherry or any red wine
- Quarter pheasant (or use just breasts)
- Dip in seasoned flour, brown in butter, and set aside.
(Season flour with Janie's or Lawry's or your favorite
seasoning. Joe uses paprika like his mother did.)
- Saut mushrooms, almonds, onion and celery in butter.
- Place pheasant in Dutch Oven and pour over sauted mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hours.
- Add cream, salt, pepper, and sherry.
- Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
2 pheasants (4 breasts) serve 3-4.