Cheesy au Gratin Potatoes
-a Betty Crocker recipe
- 6 medium boiling or baking potatoes (2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded natural sharp Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup Progresso dry bread crumbs (any flavor)
1. Heat oven to 375F.
2. Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into 1/8-inch slices to measure
about 4 cups.
3. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in
butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in
flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove
4. Stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir 1 minute.
5. Spread potatoes in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Pour cheese sauce
6. Bake uncovered 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs;
sprinkle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes
longer or until top is brown and bubbly.